Pregnant, taken ornidazole, Zanocin and ofloxacin with injection. Had LMP in june. Can pregnancy be continued?

Mar 2016

Hi Dr,
I am almost 7 week pregnant.I had taken ornidazole and ofloxacin ZANOCIN-OZ tab 2 daily for 5 days in 22/07/2013 to 27/07/2013 with a injection named milc and voveron as pain killer.In USG dated 07/08/13 the baby was healthy with normal Heart rate with normal position and 6 weeks 2 days old.last menstrual date was 17/06/13 and missed on 17/07/ we continue with the pregnancy. urgent please......
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Do Continue Pregnancy. Normal Scan Report.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us on XXXXXXX

Yes, you can continue your current pregnancy as your recent ultrasound scan report is normal with every parameter.

On the basis of your information, I have two comments:

1) ZANOCIN-OZ (category C) and VOVERAN (category B) are not recommended in early week of pregnancy. However, studies have not shown any adverse effect on growing baby. Definite abnormalities is not known. Therefore, you can continue this pregnancy.

You took those medicines at the starting of organogenesis of the baby. Though, your recent ultrasound report is normal. At this stage, you have to undergo some screening tests like Chorionic Villus Sampling (10-12 weeks), QUAD TEST, Amniocentesis (14-18 weeks) etc in the later months to rule out gross fetal anomaly. You can consult with your obstetrician for proper guidance.

2) In early stage, one week difference of gestational age in between original LMP (Last Menstrual Period) and ultrasound scan (USG) is considered as normal thing. As fetal heart rate is normal with correct position, then you have nothing to worry and you are carrying a healthy pregnancy possibly.

Ultrasound scan gives an overview of fetal maturity at the time of scanning and it may not correspond with your actual LMP. So, don't be worried. You would take progesterone, vitamin & folic acid supplements etc in the first trimester. Kindly consult with your doctor for proper prescription.

For healthy pregnancy, you would take healthy protein XXXXXXX diet (extra 350 kcal/ day than usual), drink plenty of fluids or water, take adequate bed rest, avoid heavy work/ long journey/ steeping uneven surface/ high heal shoe, maintain genital hygiene properly etc. Do not take any non-prescribed medication.

Hope, this information is quite helpful to you. Let me know, if you need any further clarification.

Wish your good health & successful motherhood. Do periodic check up with scheduled ultrasound scan to your doctor for better assessment of fetal well being.

Dr Soumen