Pregnant, suffering from pain at ovaries while moving or bending, no spotting. Blood test normal. Anything serious?

Mar 2016

My sister is currently carrying baby and she is based out of US. Need a little advice on her condition -

She is 6.4 weeks pregnant..she had been suffering from pain at the right side ovaries from 2 weeks while she is moving or bend etc,its like a mild pain..sometimes its strong..
Her blood test results were taken at 4 weeks and it was good.she didn't get the doctor appointment till 2 more weeks to take the ultra sound..No other symptoms are showing up like spotting.Does she need emergency ..what causes the pain? Please advice..
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

In the first trimester, it is quite common to feel mild abdominal cramp on either side due to uterine contraction, low back pain due to stretching of ligaments and the effect of relaxin hormone, nausea and vomiting tendency till 14 weeks due to high level of beta-HCG.

It is necessary to contact your healthcare provider or go to ER in case of some alarming signs like sudden severe pain on one side of lower abdomen (suspicion of ectopic pregnancy), spotting or bleeding (chance of miscarriage) etc for proper management. Obstetric ultrasound scan can confirm the extent of the condition.

In the mean time, she will take healthy protein XXXXXXX diet with more green vegetables and drink more fluids/ water to stay hydrated. Taking local hot bag compression or message therapy, maintaining correct posture during sleeping & sitting with use of pillow, avoiding long journey/ high heel shoe are quite measurable steps to alleviate low back pain.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish her good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen