Pregnant, stomach infection, cramps. Taking flagyl medication. Having CDIFF. When will my stool color return to normal?

I want to know about when I should expect stool to change back to brown. I have CDIFF and I am taking flagyl.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 7 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

Flagyl is the most preferred antibiotic for Clostridium difficile treatment. Some of the common side effects reported with its use are nausea, diarrhoea, metallic taste, epigastric distress etc.

These effects would gradually subside 2 to 3 days of finishing the course.

Even if the symptoms have been cleared, kindly continue with the full course as recurrence of Cdiff is quite common.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept the answer in case you do not have follow up query.

Follow-up: Pregnant, stomach infection, cramps. Taking flagyl medication. Having CDIFF. When will my stool color return to normal? 7 hours later
So after I finish the course of meds it can take 2-3 days for my stool to change brown and stomach cramps to go away. I also wanted to add that I am pregnant. Not sure if that would affect the symptoms any differently or lower my chances of fighting the infection?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 6 hours later

Thanks for the follow up

Yes after few days of finishing the antibiotic course stool should be normal.
Regarding its use during pregnancy is recommended only if infection is very severe as antibiotics are generally avoided during pregnancy especially during first trimester.
I hope you are taking it under Medical Supervision.
Pregnancy does make woman suspectible to more infections so have healthy balanced diet which increases body immunity.

Wishing you Good health!