Pregnant, scheduled for mammogram. Any harm to the baby?

The date of my LMP was April 12th and on April 22nd I had a mammogram. I had intercourse on the 20th and did not think I could get pregnant. I usually ovulate on day 15 of a 29 day cycle. I believe that I am pregnant and am so upset and scared. Could I have caused harm to my baby?
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 6 hours later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
Don't get scared. It is very less likely that there is chances if getting pregnant on 10th day of cycle. So you have undergone mammography on 10th day , it will not affect the ovum.
Another thing is that there is also less chance if getting pregnant on 20th day if you have regular cycle. So in both conditions there is less chance of getting pregnant irrespective of mammogram.
Please perform urine pregnancy test for confirmation of pregnancy. It is simple and kit id easily available in medical store. Other way just wait for next cycle. If menstruation starts normally then no need to worry about at all.
In case you are pregnant then we need to consider for termination as mammogram involves high dose of radiation which can be harmful to foetus. But I think you are not pregnant so don't get panic at this movement . We have to wait for 10 more days only.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.

Follow-up: Pregnant, scheduled for mammogram. Any harm to the baby? 3 hours later
I am pregnant. I have had a blood test at a hospital. I ovulated early. You answer is very upsetting as a radiologist and OB have told me that there is absolutely no chance of harm. Are you sure I should terminate?
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 4 hours later
Hi, welcome back.
First I apologise for my answer. I have misinterpreted your query regarding dates.. I am extremely sorry for inconvenience created.
I have discussed condition with my colleague and also Obgy doctors. You need not to terminate the pregnancy. You can continue with it. Just make sure you have routine follow up of ultrasonography scanning.

Hope you can consider the situation. If you have further concern, please let me know.