Pregnant prescribed with Endogest. Is this medication safe?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
my wife is 7 weeks pregnent. Doctor has advised us to take endogest 200. just wanted to know is it safe have this medicine.
thanks
Posted Fri, 6 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi XXXXXXX
thanks for the query.

-progesterone is the hormone responsible for maintenance of pregnancy.

-in early pregnancy it will be produced by corpus luteum of pregnancy then followed by placenta in later weeks, which will fulfill the needs of pregnancy.

-doctors will prescribe additional progesterones if they think it is necessary in some particular pregnancies.

-endogest contains synthetic progesterone which helps in continuation of pregnancy and prevents uterine action.

-your wife can take these tablets,
they can cause some side effects like nausea, vomitings etc but these can be overcome by the tablets she is already taking.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.

Follow-up: Pregnant prescribed with Endogest. Is this medication safe? 9 minutes later
is it compulsory to take medicine(vomikind) for vomitting. Is there any way to avoid vomitting during pregnancy initial day

hi XXXXXXX,

if your wife is having excessive vomitings better to take the tablet as the benefits of the tablets over weigh here.

if she is having only nausea or minimal vomitings she can try,
-after waking up she should not get up immediately from the bed, let her lye down for 4 to 5 minutes and move her limbs slowly, then slowly she should get up.
-as initial food let her take dry items like biscuits,
try to avoid oily foods,
-she should avoid certain things which will make her to vomit excessively and let her take whatever comfortable to her.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.