Pregnant, pregnancy routine hemoglobin electrophoresis test results. Is there any issue for fetus inside?

Excellent
Question
Hi My wife is 7 month pregnent. Doctor has asked to take pregnency routine haemoglobin electrophoresis test. Test result shows below result
1. Fetal Haemoglobin - 11.1
2. Haemoglobin A - 1.3
3. Haemoglobin A2 - 78%

Please note that my wife's haemoglobin level is 13.

Now doctor mas advised me(husband) to take the haemoglobin electrophoresis test. Test result is expected to come tomorrow. Is there any issue of Fetal Haemoglobin to be higher range? My wife is obsolutely good without any side effect. Is there any issue for baby inside her? Please advise. Thanks.

Posted Fri, 25 May 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 1 hour later

Elevated foetal haemoglobin could be hereditary which does not require any intervention. However if the pregnant woman is found to have elevated Hb F, partner's electrophoresis should be done to rule out sickle cell trait and thalessemia trait. If your (husband) electrophoresis is normal no further intervention is required.

If a partner has sickle cell trait and child inherits both sickle cell trait and elevated Hb F, the new born screen will identify child as having sickle cell disease. The test is repeated in child after 1 year. If the fetal Hb is still elevated, child may be having sickle/ hereditary persistence of fetal Hb which is asymptomatic or sickle/alpha beta thalasemia which is a mild clinical disorder.

Sometimes in pregnancy elevation of fetal Hb occurs which normalises after pregnancy is over, without any intervention.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Pregnant, pregnancy routine hemoglobin electrophoresis test results. Is there any issue for fetus inside? 44 hours later
Thanks you very much. my electriphoresis result has come it is normal :)

Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 11 hours later

In my opinion your wife does not require further intervention in this regard.

If you are satisfied with the conversation please close the discussion and rate the answer.

All the best