Pregnant, planning to travel. Precautions and safety measures to follow?

Mar 2016

Hello Dr Soumen Patra,
My wife is 16 weeks pregnant this week & planning to travel to India for 2 week to attend a wedding during last week of May (traveling to india in 18th week & back to US on 21st week)

1) I am wondering is it okay & safe to travel during this period.
2) what are the precautions we should take during travel
3) What the measures we should take in India during wedding
4) Flight travel she is planning to take is flight1 --> 16hrs & flight2 --> 4hrs duration
or is it advisable to book short duration flights

Please let me know

Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query. Followings are my comment:

1) Air travel is quite safe for most healthy pregnant women but each airline has a different regulation for pregnant fliers. It is considered safe up to 32-36 weeks of pregnancy for single baby and 32 weeks for twin pregnancy for short period travel (max 6-8 hrs).

You also need permission from your consulting obstetrician with clearance of airline and rule out other possible risk factors if any, like History of Preterm labor, Vaginal bleeding, High BP, Diabetes, Anemia, Deep Vein Thrombosis/ Air Embolism, Problem with high altitude etc.

As you plan to travel INDIA from USA, then it is better to postpone the trip until delivery of the baby or she needs proper immunization to avoid transmission of infectious agents from other country. Please consult with your doctor regarding this.

2) Certain measures to be taken like:

a) Get up and walk around at least once an hour and drink plenty of fluids.
b) Carry medications for pregnancy related problems such as heartburn, skin complaints, constipation, vomiting etc in her kit bag. Along with she must take sanitary napkin for emergency purpose.
c) Check travel insurance policy for pregnancy before booking flight.

3) Things to be done during wedding:

a) Total avoidance fatty/ spicy/ junk high calorie food stuffs which may create indigestion problem.
b) Take only Healthy protein XXXXXXX diet (Milk/ Meat/ Fish/ Pulses/ Beans/ Nuts/ Dals/ Cereals etc.) which are easy digestible.
c) Drinking lots of fluid/ water is required to stay hydrated & for better feto-placental circulation.
d) Iron & calcium supplements is to be continued as directed by her doctor.
e) Take adequate rest and avoid heavy work/ uneven surface/ high heal shoe etc.

4) It is better to travel with long duration flight with comfortable seats. Sitting posture should be adjustable with seats. Repeated up & down can be avoided with long duration flight.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish her good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen