Pregnant, mother having diarrhea, stomach pain, chills, nausea. Effects on baby's health ?

I am 17 weeks pregnant. Had diahorrea and very bad stomach aches night before last. Chills and feeling horrible yesterday including nausea & still diahorrea today. Will this affect the baby? I'm 32 yrs old, generally healthy :)
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

The common causes of diarrhea during pregnancy include stress, food poisoning, stomach flu ( known medically as viral gastroenteritis), food allergy and lactose intolerance. Most cases of diarrhea will go away on their own.

However, diarrhea can lead to dehydration which is a serious problem. Pregnant women can become dehydrated in a short period of time. Using oral rehydration solutions like Pedialyte can help prevent dehydration.

Diarrhea during pregnancy should not last very long. If it lasts for longer than 2 days, call your doctor right away. Sometimes, diarrhea can be a indication of premature labor.

You could try out Kaopectate which is over the counter antidiarrheal and safe to use during pregnancy.

Please go to ER if it continues and eat only mild food, non oily,non spicy home cooked meals.Also have yoghurt, probiotics too.

I hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.