Pregnant, leg blisters like heat rashes. What is the treatment and precautions for this?

My wife is preganant and in the 9th month. She has got lot of blisters in legs. seems like those are heat rashes. She is in Mangalore and it is very hot and humid there. Please advise a treatment for this.
Posted Sun, 17 Jun 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 19 minutes later

Blister in leg may or may not be due to heat. There are chances of some infection also due to heat or something else.

In pregnancy prompt diagnosis and treatment of even minor aliment is must.

I would request you to consult a family physician/gynaecologist there and get her examined.

Local skin infections in initial days respond well to local antibiotics.Some of the infections are rapidly progressing and contagious so that they may spread to other parts of body.

If the doctor feels that this is due to hear he will advise something related to that. But examination is must.

So please do not ignore this and take her to a doctor.

I hope this helps.

Wishing her all the best of health for the time to come.

Follow-up: Pregnant, leg blisters like heat rashes. What is the treatment and precautions for this? 2 days later
Hi Doctor,

My wife had been to doctor in Mangalore and he has prescribed 1)Persivate Cream and 2) Chlorpheniramine tab 4mg.

I could not go with her to the doctor as I am in Mumbai. I have certain queries like
1) What is the reason for these rashes?
2) What precaution should be taken so that this heals faster and does not come again?
3) Any restriction on any food or any food that might help heal faster?
Looking at the medicine would you be able to identify the problem and answer my queries? Please advise.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 30 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

It is good that she had been to doctor and taken treatment.

From medicines and problem that she had, it seems that she is having some allergic skin condition.

This can be due to extreme heat, contact allergy to something, dry skin conditions due to pregnancy etc.

No special precautions or modification in diet is needed. Just ask her to complete the treatment as advised and go for follow up.

Please ask her to avoid applying the cream without doctor’s advice after this gets controlled.

Medicines in pregnancy need to be taken only in doses as advised.

I hope this helps and clarify your concerns.