Pregnant inspite of using condoms. Taking Mensovit Plus. What are the side effects?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Doctor, My name is XXXXXXX and self and my wife had decided to not to have 2nd baby for time being. and we are on planning with condoms, inspite that my wife conceived and now we did taken the Mensovit Plus
my querry would be is this tablets side effects will effect baby, in case if decided to go ahead of getting baby
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
examination and ultrasound needed

Detailed Answer:
The efficacy of mensovit plus tablet as a abortifacient is not proved yet.
So, you once consult gynecologist, get examined and go for ultrasound.
Ultrasound is needed to confirm the intrauterine pregnancy and to estimate the gestational age.
Then depending on the gestational age, with your doctor's advice you can choose the method of abortion.
Up to 8 weeks of gestation medical abortion with tablets is possible.
Mensovit tablets may not affect the baby in future.
But if you want to continue the pregnancy, you have to continue with regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examinations to detect any abnormality at the earliest.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion.

Follow-up: Pregnant inspite of using condoms. Taking Mensovit Plus. What are the side effects? 27 hours later
Dear Madam,

We did consulted the Doctor, and they also did not able to give the concurred answer. we had consumed alomost 4 Tablets

What is the general opinion in such case as doctor you recommend.

Please share and advice

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
regular antenatal checkups

Detailed Answer:
If the bleeding didn't start after 48 hours of intake of mensovit tablets, possibly that may not help further.
You can consult gynecologist and take generally prescribed tablets for abortion with her advice.
If you want to continue the pregnancy, undergo ultrasound to confirm the well being of the fetus.
And continue with regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examinations. .
Mensovit plus is a recently approved drug by FDA. So there are no sufficient studies to find out its effect on baby.