Pregnant, in 6th month. Is it safe to travel by train?

Question
my wife is 6 month pregnant right now, we are planning to go our parent house on 2nd August via train in 1st AC. Is there any problem in traveling in starting of 9 month.
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

If your wife has any medical or obstetric complications, such as poorly controlled diabetes, placental problems, or pregnancy-induced high blood pressure, it is advisable not travel by train at all.

I would suggest to avoid travelling by train during the last trimester. She may not be able to get medical help in case of need. If your wife has to travel urgently then, she should follow these measures:

-     Consult her doctor before travelling and carry her pre-natal records.

-     Wear comfortable, low-heeled shoes and loose-fitting clothes.

-     She should eat healthy meals and snacks. Meals may be unpredictable while traveling. Ask her to carry snacks with her. Eat enough fiber in your meals to avoid constipation.

-     She should drink plenty of water. Carry a water bottle with you.

-     She should get up and walk often while you are traveling. Otherwise she should keep her legs elevated and take adequate rest.

-     Consider travelling by an aeroplane instead. Avoid lifting heavy weight.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Pregnant, in 6th month. Is it safe to travel by train? 1 hour later
The doctor which we are referring have denied for traveling by flight as there is fluctuation of pressure during the journey, rather she had given us the permission of traveling by train after due check up. I am planning to go in 1st AC coach so that my wife feels comfortable. I just want to know is there is any problem in traveling by train if the pregnancy is normal.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

If your wife's gynecologist has given the permission to travel by train after examining her and hers is an uncomplicated preganncy, then your wife can go ahead and travel. Please do ask her to follow the points which i have mentioned above to have a comfortable and trouble free traveling.

Wishing your wife good health and best wishes for a healthy child and delivery.