Pregnant, hit in my chest. History of childhood asthma, anxiety attacks. X ray showed possible TB

In January of this year, I was hit very hard in my chest during control tactics (like hand to hand self defense, I'm a prison guard), and because of the bruising subsequently was ordered to the hospital but my instructor. Upon doing a chest X-ray and a drug test since it was technically a work injury, two things were discovered. First, I found out I was pregnant, which is wonderful news! Secondly, there did not seem to be any issue past the bruising however whe. Reading the X-rays the radiologist (or doc not sure) notice a large white are on my right lung that appears to be scar tissue. He said its likely an old injury from an illness or infection, possibly TB. ( however, as an Guard and first responder, I have been tested for TB many times and always test negative. When I mentioned the spot to my mother she said that she knew and it has been there si├Ęcle before I was 14. It was discovered when I was suspected to have meningitis due to an exposure from a girl a babysat who had contracted it in an outbreak at school. While I had all the signs and symptoms including rash and stiffness I tested negative, but they did find the spot on my lung. I tracked down those X-rays and the new ones and gave them to my PCP. Because I am pregnant he is waiting start checking into it in depth until a little after baby, but it appears the spot has grown what in size in the years between the X-rays. Now I had childhood asthma, and was originally on albuterol, however it caused a reaction that landed me in the hospital. My PCP is saying it could be from TB, but doubtful. It could be damage from the albuterol, or it could be a result of a simple infection that misdiagnosed. Does this sound right? My PCP is new to me and I'm panicking a little that it will be into late this year early next before I find out what this thing on my lung is.

I am 25 y.o. 5ft4in 160pounds, 5 months pregnant, history of childhood asthma, anxiety attacks (none in 3 years), suffered potassium deficiency twice, cause not determined; suffer from migraine headaches, at least once a month, headaches attributed to sleep issues.
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 2 hours later
Thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

Congradulations on your pregnancy. Yes it is indeed great to have a baby.

Although the common causes of lung shadow in X-Ray are tuberculosis or interstial lung disease due to silica, asbestosis, bird droppings, pollen or other dusts. sarcoidosis and hypersensitivity pneumonitis, I feel the most probable cause for you could be either hypersensitivity pneumonitis or scarring due to interstitial lung disease.

Sarcoidosis is a granulomatous condition often mistaken with tuberculous. Hilar lymph node enlargement will be seen in X-Ray. Cough and difficulty in breathing resembling asthma and TB may confuse the issue. Hypersensitivity pneumonitis is due to immune reactions to organic dusts or chemicals at your working site as prison area may contain these and as an asthmatic you are sensitive to both.

Since you have suffered from asthma and your mom says that the shadow in lungs was present in your child hood itself, it could be due to any of these allergens (silica, asbestosis, hay or other farm products) as these can cause both asthma and later if you have moved from the sensitive area, a scarring due to interstial lung disease.

Lung scarring cannot be reversed or stopped. No medical treatment is available to either prevent or slow its progress. Treatment can only be symptomatic. If it is asymptomatic you need not worry. Physical exercise and breathing techniques will improve lung function.

I hope this helps. Please address to me if you have any other concerns.