Pregnant, headaches, vision problems. on aldoment for BP, fioricet for headaches. Cause of concern ?

Question
I am 29 and 17 weeks pregnant, I take aldomet for high blood pressure, my blood pressure has been great, my ob put me on fioricet for tension headaches. Right now my head hurts a little on my left side of my forehead and hurts in like my cheeks too, earlier I felt a little tingle around my lips and im just wondering if this is a cause for concern. These headaches have me really stressed out, just a little worried and wanted some advice, usually it gets better with rest but hasnt today, Right now it still hurts on my left side, Im not having any vision problems, just worried about the headaches
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 minutes later

Mild headaches are commonly associated with pregnancy specially when you are having a higher blood pressure readings. Also raised levels of progesterone during pregnancy causes these persistent headaches in some. There is nothing to worry.

In most of the cases these do subside with mild pain killers like acetaminophen and a strong cup of coffee. Right now if your headache is not getting relieved, you need to get your blood pressure checked.

Mild tingling around lips is common due to paresthesias seen in pregnancy. Methylcobalamin supplements help in improving these symptoms.

If the headache is persistent then you must consult your gynecologist for further investigations.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Pregnant, headaches, vision problems. on aldoment for BP, fioricet for headaches. Cause of concern ? 2 hours later
But my blood pressure has stayed normal the whole time. Do I just need to stop worrying and stop stressing, this headache started this morning. I think cause I slept with out good support, but I feel better now.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for writing again.

If you have been given Aldomet by your gynecologist then, she must have found your diastolic BP records near 90mmHg.

Now that you are feeling better it is possible that the headache was due to stress. Do remain stress free and give adequate rest to your body.

Regards.

Follow-up: Pregnant, headaches, vision problems. on aldoment for BP, fioricet for headaches. Cause of concern ? 1 hour later
I was on bp medicine before I got pregnant, I take my bp at home quiet often and its hasnt even been over 80. But I did take some tylenol and since I dont like coffee I drank a coke with it, it helped. The headaches just scare me and make me worry. This, is my 3rd pregnacy and I did.t have headaches with my other 2. Thank you so much for your advice

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for the follow up.

Since you were hypertensive prior to this pregnancy it is best to continue with aldomet as it will keep your BP within range.

The normal readings you are getting is because you are taking aldomet.

Be relaxed and have adequate sleep to avoid headaches.

Regards.

Follow-up: Pregnant, headaches, vision problems. on aldoment for BP, fioricet for headaches. Cause of concern ? 4 days later
you said mild tingling around the lips is normal in pregnacy, is is normal for it to be beside the mouth also, it doesnt last but a second and doesnt do it all the time, if im occupied and not thinking about it, but if im sitting and thinking about it it will do it and only las a second. Thankfully i didnt have any headaces in the past 2 days! thank you for your advice

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Hello.

Nice to see you again.

The tingling around the lips are paresthesias which are normal in pregnancy upto some extent. Taking Methylcobalamin supplements might help you to some extent. You need not worry about these as these are self limiting and subside after the pregnancy is over.

Hope, this helps to solve your query.

Wish you happy parenting.

Regards.

Follow-up: Pregnant, headaches, vision problems. on aldoment for BP, fioricet for headaches. Cause of concern ? 25 hours later
I know your probaly getting tired of my questions and im gona talk to my dr at my next visit, but is but one of the symptoms of guillain barre syndrome is th he tingling around the lips and mouth, is this possible? I havent had any of the other symptoms though.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 hours later
Hello.
Your interest in your health is not bother some for me.
All your queries are most welcome.
Guillaine Barre syndrome is not a likely possibility with only an occasional paresthesia around your lips. This should come as the last likely possibility. The most common reason is pregnancy itself.
Do not worry. You can get yourself examined for any other other symptoms on your next visit to doctor's office.
Hope you find my answer helpful.
Regards.

Follow-up: Pregnant, headaches, vision problems. on aldoment for BP, fioricet for headaches. Cause of concern ? 2 days later
Thank you for all your help, the tingling has pretty muched stopped and my headaches have pretty muched stopped, so I guess my last thought of guillian barre syndrome isnt likely is it? I havent had problems like this with my past two pregnacies. In the event of that problem would the symptoms be constant and not occasional?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 hours later

Your symptoms are not at all suggestive of Guillian Barre syndrome. It is more commonly characterized by a progressive muscle weakness and numbness. The symptoms are very severe and not occasional.

Do not worry. Since your paresthesias and headache have now subsided, there is nothing to worry.

Regards.