Pregnant, having swollen and painful knee. Not able to bend. Advise?

Mar 2013
Hi Doctor,

I'm 10 weeks , 4 days pregnant. From last night I'm having severe knee pain (Left knee). My left knee is swollen too. I'm not able to bend my left leg. For past few days I have leg pain whcih is mostly during night while I sleep. I'm really worried because of this swollen knee. Is this normal ? Please advise. Thanks.
Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 25 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
The severe swelling and the pain which you describe is not normal.
The following possibilities could exist -
1. Weight gain and fluid retention in pregnancy leads to knee swelling and pain. Strain on the knees could due to excessive weight gain can cause this condition.
2. Over exercise and unnatural posturing at work or in the house could cause this. Wearing high heels also is a cause.
3. Hypothyroidism often presents as joint pain - please get yourself screened for the same.
4. Certain types of arthritis gets aggravated during pregnancy, so its necessary to have those arthritic conditions ruled out, as they can cause complications to the mother and the baby. These are diagnosed by blood tests and clinical examination by a specialist in joint pains called a Rheumatologist.

Right now, please consult your obstetrician for general screening, and also a Rheumatologist for complete assessment.
Wear well cushioned flat shoes.
Prop up your feet whenever possible to relax your feet.
Avoid standing for prolonged periods of time.
Avoid excessive weight gain, and monitor your blood pressure.
Specialized knee braces can be prescribed by your doctor which will significantly reduce the pain and swelling.
Pain medications can be prescribed also after ruling out any specific diseases.

Take care, and please feel free to ask for further clarifications.