Pregnant having severe cold and headache. Had surgery for sinusitis. Taking Cepodem, Crocin and Lazine D. Advice?

ENT Specialist
Question
My wife is a pregnant,she is at her 6th month now(27 weeks).
Her age is 22.Weight:67 BMI:26.84
Earlier she had an operation for Sinusitis.From past 15 days she is suffering from severe cold and headache.We had met a Gynocologist and based on her suggestion we are using the tablets [Cepodem,Crocin,Lazine D] and keeping steam[Afternoon & Night], from past 2 days.She has suggested to use them for 5 days.
Even though we are using the tablets for 2 days,there was no improvement.Can you please suggest us any techniques to get relief from this problem.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Let her use Otrivin nasal drops / spray for a few days ( if not allergic to ).Do not exceed two weeks of continuous use.

2. Since she has started the above mentioned medication, let her complete the full course. In general, all medicines which are routinely used in children are safe to use in pregnancy. Crocin is not a strong painkiller. If she can manage to bear the headache, stronger pain killers are best avoided during pregnancy. If she is unable to bear the headache, occasional use of strong painkillers is not harmful.

3. Her headache may signify blocked sinuses. It is best to manage this condition with home remedies such as warm fluids, steam inhalation (at least 10-15 min at each sitting with an electric steamer), medicated gargles and lozenges.

4. Sometimes, nasal congestion worsens in pregnancy due to hormonal influence. Such patients improve on their own soon after delivery.Calcium can interfere in the absorption of various medicines. If her headache does not respond, it may also be due to side effect of medication, for example, excess calcium intake can cause headaches. Get a general check-up and get her blood pressure and sugar levels checked.

5. Investigations and aggressive treatment can be resumed after delivery with due caution during the initial breast feeding time period.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Pregnant having severe cold and headache. Had surgery for sinusitis. Taking Cepodem, Crocin and Lazine D. Advice? 13 hours later
Thanks For the Reply.

In the Point 3 of your reply,You have mentioned some home remedies,can you please explain on medicated gargles and lozenges.

medicated gargle - what is the liquid we have to use to rinse the mouth - Is it warm water with salt?
I have not understood the word lozenges - Is it a tablet?

In the Point 4,Her blood pressure and sugar levels are normal.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 19 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. She can use medicated gargles such as Betadine, Tantum or warm salt water gargles.

2. Turmeric in warm milk, honey, ginger and tulsi are time tested home remedies.

3. Lozenges are chewable tablets such as Strepsils, Halls, Vicks, Honitus and so on.

4. It is good to hear that her blood pressure and sugar levels are normal.

Hope, she is feeling better now. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them. Please accept my answer in case you have no further queries.

I wish her speedy recovery.

Regards.