Pregnant having severe abdominal pain and nausea. Not able to eat. Will marijuana intake harm the baby?

Hi I'm 27 years old and am 6wks pregnant having horrible
Unbaring nausea pain. I haven't been able to eat hardly anything, and can't see my doctor till XXXXXXX 18.
And I used to smoke marijuana to help me relax and
Sleep, and help with my stomach. But quit when i found out i was pregnant. Since I was a kid I've always had a sensitive tummy
So these nausea pains are pretty painful. All I want is to be able
To relax and not have any more pain. I need to be eating but can't .
So I was wondering if I had a couple hits of marijuana
Would it really be interfering with my baby's health?
Posted Thu, 21 Jun 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 54 minutes later

I can understand your concern for this abdominal pain and nausea but you should not resort back to marijuana considering your pregnancy status. Marijuana, like cigarette smoke, contains toxins that keep your baby from getting the proper supply of oxygen that he or she needs to grow.

According to American pregnancy association smoking marijuana during pregnancy can increase the chance of miscarriage, low birth-weight, premature births, developmental delays, and behavioral and learning problems in children. So it should be avoided.

Abdominal cramps and nausea are common during pregnancy because of the hormones and uterine growth due to the fetal growth which pulls the ligaments of the uterus. Eat a healthy, nutritious diet, exercise moderately and take plenty of rest.

Rest in a dark room and practice XXXXXXX breathing. But if the symptoms are severe then please consult your gynecologist and do not take any medicines on your own as none of the medicines are safe during pregnancy.

Also then the possibilities of ectopic pregnancy and hyperemesis gravidarum ruled out.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.