Pregnant having pain in lower abdomen. Ultrasound shows fibroid in uterus. Should be concerned?

My wife is pregnant from 22 weeks , she feels pain in lower side , when stands for just 10 minutes & when she sleeps in any side left / right .
Two months before we have done ultrasound , there is small fibrid in uterus of 45x40mm size .
But as per doctor there no problem because of this .
Please suggest what to do

Her age - 29 Years , Weight - 60 Kg
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 21 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query and congratulations to the parents to be.

As per the problem that she has there are couple of possible reasons in her case.

1. As the pregnancy advances the baby inside the uterus grows, after this time, that is around 20 weeks, the uterus from pelvis starts to grow in abdomen. This at times can lead to stretching of muscles of abdomen and can lead to some discomfort. Along with this, with increase in the weight of uterus, the supports of uterus are also stretched which can give rise to pain.

2. Some form of gaseous discomfort can also lead to this. With the advancement of pregnancy some discomfort is routine.

In case, the problem is bothersome then it is advisable to go for ultrasound again and confirm the things. This will also give idea about any recent increase in size of fibroid if any.

As the pain in not limited one particular side of abdomen, means it switches the sides there are very less chances of anything related to intestine or other near by organs.

Please discuss this with your doctor and as per need he may advise repeat ultrasound, urine examination etc.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have.

In case you do not have follow up query, please accept the answer.