Pregnant having discomfort in belly button. Is this normal?

Belly button discomfort 5 weeks pregnant. I been having it for 2 days already. Everytime I lay down I feel it even more. No bleeding and no cramping. I don't know what's wrong. It's that feeling like when u poke your belly button.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 50 minutes later
Pain in belly button during pregnancy is most likely muscular in origin. You can do a hot fomentation in the area for symptomatic relief. If there are no other associated symptoms like abdominal cramps and lower abdomen pain then there is nothing worrisome. This will gradually subside in 5-7 days.
In case there is pain in lower abdomen then an ultrasound scan is recommended to rule out ectopic pregnancy.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Pregnant having discomfort in belly button. Is this normal? 8 minutes later
What if the belly button pain last longer than a week? I thought ectopic pregnancy you cramp on the ovaries and bleed? I just feel the discomfort on the belly button area and sometimes going down. I have had 2 pregnancies before this and never felt this. They were c-section
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
If the pain is persistent for more than a week then the cause needs to be investigated. In case of ectopic pregnancy, initially there is only pain which may be referred to the belly button. But tenderness in the lower abdomen is also present.
Your symptoms seem to be due to muscular pain and are likely to subside.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Pregnant having discomfort in belly button. Is this normal? 1 hour later
Should I go to dr tommorow? Can they tell by my blood and pap if it's a ectopic pregnancy? What are other possibilities it can be? Thank you for being helpful
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
For diagnosis of ectopic pregnancy, blood test and pap smear are not helpful. Ultrasound scan is the investigation of choice.
You can consult your gynecologist in case the pain is persistent.
Best regards.