Pregnant having cough. Will it harm baby? Medication for cough?

May 2013
i am 6 months pregnant , but i am suffering from sever cough , can it harm my baby ?and what cough syrup can i use , or any home made recipe pl for cough
Posted Mon, 28 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
Cough and cold are quite common but when they occur in pregnancy they should be treated carefully.
Normal dry cough won’t affect the baby much but if severe cough is there with expectoration it can affect the baby by,
- While coughing increased abdominal pressure will lead to rupture of chorionic membranes and leakage of amniotic fluid sometimes.
- the underlying cause of cough can affect the baby like in case of cough due to some infections, the infecting organism can affect the baby also.
But don’t worry these are rarities as there are natural protectors inside the body like, the amniotic fluid will protect the baby from the increased pressure while coughing. And placental barrier to some extent will prevent the entry of organisms from the mother to the baby.
Cough syrups will contain different ingredients to reduce particular symptoms of cough like,
-Anti histamines to reduce inflammation, in pregnancy the safe antihistamines are loratadine, doxylamine, diphenhydramine etc.
-Cough suppressants to stop coughing, dextromethorphan is considered to be safe.
-Expectorants to dilute the mucus, guaifenesin are relatively safe in second trimester.
-Decongestants to reduce the congestion of sinuses, pseudoephydrine hydrochloride are considered to be safe.
-Analgesics to relieve the pain, acetaminophen are considered to be safe.
According to above combination you choose cough syrup avoid those containing alcohol but use only after showing to your doctor.
But along with this the underlying cause to be treated.
The natural remedies are increasing water intake also other fluids like soups, juices, warm tea can be taken which will dilute the mucus secretions.
Inhaling steam also do same thing and also decrease sinus congestion, to treat sore throat you can use lozenges tea with honey also help. By adding moisture to air with humidifier cough can be improved.
If cough is getting increased due to supine position you can apt semi-sitting position by putting pillows under head and back.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please do not forget to accept it.