Pregnant having cold, cough and sore throat. Sharp pain in the head. Remedy?

I am 29 years old. I am 30 weeks pregnant. Right now I have a bad cold, I have a congested.cough that hurts my throat and chest when I cough and I have a sore throat. But every now and then I have a pain in the right side of my head close to my temple that will hurt for a few seconds and then.stop, im just wondering if I should be concerned. It feels like a shooting pain. No other symptoms but that.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later
Thanks for positing your query.

From the symptoms that you have mentioned it looks like upper pharyngitis which are causing sinus congestion and sinus headaches. It may be caused by either viral or bacterial infections.

The pressure sensation and pain in the head close to the temples that you are having can be due to sinus congestion. Chronically inflamed sinuses (air filled spaces in the nose) produce large amounts of mucus. It drips down on the back of the throat which causes constant clearing of the throat and headaches and lightheadedness due to sinus headaches.

Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day and use over-the-counter throat lozenges. Salt water gargle is also a good way to relieve a sore throat. In addition, take paracetamol (acetaminophen) after consulting your general physician as it can be taken in pregnancy but only under medical supervision. Sucking hard candies and ginger lemon tea and inhaling steam would also help in opening the sinus congestion.

Also get a rapid strep test (to rule out streptococcal sore throat) and a throat swab done at your doctor’s office so that if it is bacterial pharyngitis, you will need a course of antibiotics.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.