Pregnant, having bright red stool. Is it haemorrhoid or colon cancer?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hi doctor. I am a 29 year old female, currently 36 weeks pregnant. About 5 years ago I noticed a streak of bright red blood on my stool. It didnt happen again until last September (2012) where I saw another streak of blood. Again, I was blood free for a very long time until XXXXXXX '13 when I was 25 weeks pregnant. In the course of a few months during my pregnancy, I have noticed blood on my stool 4 times. Twice it was a streak and twice it was on a small pellet sized ball. All of the times this has happened have been followed by a day or two of not going poop at all. My dr also checked and found what he felt was an XXXXXXX hemmorhoid. I started on stool softeners and have had no blood or comstipation since. Do I need to worry about colon cancer?
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Colon cancer is less likely

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.

Blood streaked stool is usually a feature of anal fissure. It is a condition in which there is a small tear in the wall of the anal canal. It occurs when a person is constipated.
Similarly the pellet sized ball of blood could be a feature of XXXXXXX hemorrhoids which your doctor has said. This again occurs when a person is constipated.

You have also mentioned that this symptoms occurred when you also did not have a bowel movement. During pregnancy constipation is common and can result in hemorrhoids and fissures with symptoms like blood in stool.

Having good bowel movements would prevent further bleeding as in your case. So I recommend you take high fiber diet (plenty of fruits and vegetables / whole grain cereals), plenty of fluids and stool softener.

Colon cancer is less likely. If there is persistent bleeding in spite of good bowel movements you can have a colonoscopy done after you deliver your baby.

I hope that answers your question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Pregnant, having bright red stool. Is it haemorrhoid or colon cancer? 10 hours later
Thanks for your thorough reply.The dr said he did not see a fissure, so could the streak of blood also be indicitave of an XXXXXXX hemmorhoid? Also, since this happened last september, if it were cancer, would the blood have been more persistent since then?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it could be due to XXXXXXX hemorrhoids

Detailed Answer:
Yes , it could be due to XXXXXXX hemorrhoids.
But it can be confirmed only with a anoproctoscopy.

If it were cancer, many other symptoms like a drop in hemoglobin, worsening constipation, blood and mucus discharge would have developed.

I hope that answers your question.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini