Pregnant, having bleeding. EPI scan showed cystic lesion. Any danger?

Hi I'm 8weeks pregnant was bleeding this morning gp sent me to hospital had a epi scan was told Embryonic heart pulsation and yolk sac were clearly seen Heterogenous structure at end caudal end of fetal pole 2nd fetal pole cystic lesion . I have to go back on Tuesday for sonographer to assesse heterogenous structure to rule out abnormality . I'm lost the lady who did the scan did not explain to me what is wrong am I losing the babies what is going on please .
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

First some questions:
1. What was the first day of your last period?
2. Did they give a 'measurement' of the fetus or the sac?
3. Did the ultrasound agree with dating based on your cycle?

Thank you!
Follow-up: Pregnant, having bleeding. EPI scan showed cystic lesion. Any danger? 11 minutes later
Hello my last day of me steal was 14 march they told me CRL is 16 mm 8,5 Wks And yes she agreed on the dates she said their is one heart beat but their is something else and she is not sure if its the other baby or some thing wrong with the other one
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 19 minutes later
Thank you for the followup.

At 8 weeks of pregnancy, ultrasound is very accurate in terms of determining:
1. A normal fetal heart rate
2. A normal measurement or crown-rump length

If there is a general sense that something does not look right, then it is probably the case that something is not right (just to be honest). While it is possible that there is some confusion because this sounds like a twin pregnancy, I suspect that they are having you followup because there is something present that they do not normally see at 8 weeks. Also, I would not expect the ultrasound technician to give you an interpretation, and they are often in this awkward situation of finding an abnormality and not knowing what to say.

Given the lack of explanation of the findings (or the lack of explaining that there is a concern), it would not be wrong to call your OB/GYN and ask them exactly that "in your honest opinion, do you think that something is wrong?". My guess is that everything will be made much more clear at your followup visit.

I hope that this helps. I am very sorry for how it is going thus far.
Follow-up: Pregnant, having bleeding. EPI scan showed cystic lesion. Any danger? 2 minutes later
Thank you for your advice .
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 4 minutes later
It is my pleasure to try and help. If you have additional questions regarding this difficult situation, please ask!.