Pregnant, have sore lump in armpit. Had used Drysol for perspiration. Suggest?

I am 9 weeks pregnant. I have a lump in my left armpit that has been bothering me. It's sore most of the time. I'm scared that it might be something serious. It has been there for a long time, and has been sore on and off but is really starting to worry me. When I was younger I used a product called "Drysol" to help with my over perspiration. Since then, I don't sweat much if ever in my armpits. I'm thinking maybe blocked sweat glands? But I have no problems in my right armpit. Can you help?
The lump feels kind of squishy, not completely round. It's about and inch around. In the picture it's just under the crease in my armpit.
26 years old
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello, I would be happy to help you!

Detailed Answer:
There are a couple of possibilites:

1. This might represent actual breast tissue - the breast is a teardrop shape and the small part of the tear drop extends into the armpit and can present as a swelling in the armpit itself. Pregnancy causes an increase in the size and number of breast glands. So this is possible

2. This could represent a swollen lymph node - this could simply from shaving and a response to bacteria getting beyond the skin with very very small cuts from the act of shaving

I would not worry too much, because in the absence of a breast lump, and given your young age, cancer is incredibly rare. I would, however, go in to your doctor and get this checked out.

I hope that this helps!
Follow-up: Pregnant, have sore lump in armpit. Had used Drysol for perspiration. Suggest? 6 minutes later
Thank you! It is very possible that this is breast tissue. It would explain why it is as sore as my breasts are right now. Is there anything I can do to help move it back to the breast or decrease the swelling?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes and no...

Detailed Answer:
Yes, it is very possible that this is breast tissue. And no, there is nothing you can do about it. In any woman, though, who has assymetric breast related symptoms, I encourage them to go in for an exam to make sure that my theory, as I have explained to you, is correct.

Good luck!