Pregnant, have puss cells in urine. Medication needed?

i am 32 weeks pregnant . My pathology report says pus-cells 10-12/HPF (urine routine). Is it serious? Should I start medication?
Posted Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Soumen Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for query.

Your routine urine examination reveals slight higher pus cell than normal level. 8-10 pus cell/HPF is normal in female individual without symptoms.

Pus cell does not always indicate infection or symptoms; but it has to be taken seriously in case of pregnancy. Complication may arise if you remain untreated.

Please do consult with your Obstetrician with test reports and take suggestive measures accordingly. You may need short course of safe antibiotics and Urine alkaliser to get rid of this.

Also do the following things:
1) Drink plenty of fluids/water (3 lit plus)
2) Maintain genital hygiene with wash properly
3) Empty bladder periodically or 3-4 hrs interval
4) Continue iron/calcium supplements & periodic check up
5) Ultrasonography (USG) for assessment of fetal development.
6) Take adequate rest in left lateral position possibly 8-10 hrs in a day.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your better health and journey of successful motherhood...

Follow-up: Pregnant, have puss cells in urine. Medication needed? 56 minutes later
Sincere thanks,
Our doctor has prescribed CITAL , please advise is it safe in pregnancy and how much dose is adequate.
Answered by Dr. Soumen Patra 32 minutes later

Thanks again for follow up query.

CITAL contains Disodium Hydrogen Citrate, a Urinary alkaliser and it is absolutely safe to be used in pregnancy.

Dose of CITAL varies and depends on severity of symptoms. It is usually taken 15-20 ml dissolved in water two to three times daily. Please consult with your treating doctor regarding dose adjustment.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you good health...