Pregnant, have low lying placenta and fibroid. Is it safe to travel by train?

May 2013
hi . 1 am 27 week pregnant and have low lying placenta which is 2.77 cm from the internal os. and have fibroid too of 6 approx. i want to travel by train in 1AC FOR MUMBAI .it is 18 hours journey . train journey will effect my baby and me.what should i do .Actually i have to go to my mom place for delivery and nobody is here for me. and what precaution should i take in blood cloth happen in journey.advise me
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Precautions to be taken Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. As your placenta is about 2.77cms from the cervical os, it comes under category of low lying placenta. Having fibroid of around 6 cms size is also a risk factor. If journey is a must, you have to follow precautions like: - With your doctor's advice go for progesterone injection and tablets to sedate the uterine musculature. Start tablets at least one week before journey and continue till one week after journey. Injection can be taken one day before the journey. - Be careful while getting in and getting out of the train. - Be in supine position during journey as much as possible. -If at all bleeding occurs better to get down and go to a near by hospital. - It is good if any one knowing your condition accompanies you. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.
Follow-up: Pregnant, have low lying placenta and fibroid. Is it safe to travel by train? 18 minutes later
Hi. I have seen your reply . My doctor suggest me to take projestrone injection and some table of pain something dollo650 . Please suggest me should travelling by train is risky for my baby and me . Suggest what should i do. I wanting to go my mom house . Please suggest me how to avoid risk and precaution so that i reach my mom place safely.what is supine postion. Is bleeding will take place in train journey . This means i cant travel by train. Advise me
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Can travel but be careful Detailed Answer: Hi, Dolo 650 contains paracetamol, which is an analgesic. That may help in relieving pains. But to prevent uterine contractions better to take progesterone injection and tablets. Train journey is comparatively safer than journey by other modes. So, you can choose train journey. But better to be careful while traveling, follow the precautions I mentioned previously. Supine position means lying down position. Be in lying down position as per as possible. Usually the possibility of bleeding is less with low lying placenta when compared with complete placenta previa. But the risk can not be completely eliminated. So you can travel, hopefully no problem will arise. But be careful while traveling. Take care.
Follow-up: Pregnant, have low lying placenta and fibroid. Is it safe to travel by train? 37 minutes later
hi, this means i can travel with have mention tablets for uterine contraction and progestrone injection. there will be side effect of using this. can you tell me the tablets for utrine contraction.And i heard about blood cloth in pregnancy.if i wear stocking before leaving for journey that will help me to reduce blood cloth.should i lying down always or should i walk when train moves or train stops. but i heard women travel by train without any problem in complication also. should i go by train with precaution .advise me
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Natural micronized progesterone Detailed Answer: Hi, Generally in our hospital we prescribe injections and tablets containing natural micronized progesterone like susten, naturogest etc. Due to these drugs side effects like pain at the injection site, nausea, bloating sensation etc side effects can occur. But usually these side effects will subside soon with out need of any medication. Blood coaguability increases little bit in pregnancy. Prolonged sitting can aggravate this. So, during night you can sleep in lying down position. You can prefer left lateral position while sleeping. In the remaining morning hours, while sitting, you can walk for 5 to 10 minutes after every 11/2 to 2 hours of sitting. But be careful while walking. Prefer walking when the train stops. You can use stockings. Yes, train journey is safe in pregnancy. But as you are having few risk factors, better to be careful. Take care.
Follow-up: Pregnant, have low lying placenta and fibroid. Is it safe to travel by train? 12 hours later
Hi, My doctor suggest me duphaston for utrine contraction. When should i used this . Actually i am leaving on 29 this month. Is this have a side effect in my pregnancy. Should i take pillow along with me for legs . So that blood flow nicely. Can i sit for hour or two in train journey. Is sleeping in lying postion does effect my back. Is low lying create problem in journey. According to your experience women have travel in this condition without any problem. In normal pregnancy also this precaution have to be kept. I will be greatful if u advise me
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Take precautions Detailed Answer: Hi, -Duphaston contains dydrogesterone. Usually recommend dose is once a day. As per the available literature no major adverse effects in pregnancy reported with this. Reference : Minor side effects like nausea, bloating sensation etc may occur. But they will subside without need of medication usually. -Yes, you can use a pillow at the foot end. -Yes, you can sit for few hours. During that period, try to walk slowly for 5 to 10 minutes after every 11/2 to 2 hours of sitting. But be in lying down position during most of the journey. -During lying down, you can move to left and right lateral sides slowly, to avoid backache. -Yes, every pregnant woman should be cautious while doing journey. Pregnant women with risk factors should be little bit more cautious. -Generally pregnant women with low lying placenta can complete their journey safely compared with women with marginal or central placenta previa. So, don't worry. Follow precautions and have safe journey. Take care.