Pregnant, have itching of the anus. Taken medicine for worms, hemorrhoid and anal fissure but no help. Advise?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hello, i am nine weeks pregnant and have suffered from intense itching of the anus at night for the past two years. I have been to a number of doctors. The first said it could be worms (i got a puppy just before the itching started) and prescribed medication. But the itching continued. The second doctor said I had a small hemorrhoid and prescribed cream. The itching did not subside. The third doctor said I had a small anal fissure. I am not pregnant and the itching is still there, mostly at night, and I have just discovered black seed like things in my stool. They are shaped like Lima beans. I am worried they are eggs from worms and could harm my baby. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
probably worms or parasites

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for the query.
From all this it definitely sounds like parasite called enterobius vermicularis or some other less common worms. I don't know did you take right medicine for it but you should do microbiologic stool analysis to verify the exact cause. It can't harm your baby on any can only cause such unpleasant itchyng and nothing else. If I am right you should take metronidazole or similar medicine.but do stool analysis under the microscope first. Also,try to have sitz baths in warm salty water. Of course,if there in not infectional cause it can be fisure,hemorrhoids or polyps and you should do rectoscopy to evaluate this. Wish you good health. Regards. Feel free to ask
Follow-up: Pregnant, have itching of the anus. Taken medicine for worms, hemorrhoid and anal fissure but no help. Advise? 18 minutes later
Thank you doctor. I am due for a checkup tomorrow anyway. I should also have mentioned that i have a bowel movement every morning and it is alway loose. Is this a symptom of pin worms too?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Of course it is. Worms are definitely the first to think of. If there is no confirmation and symptoms persist then you can focus on other diagnoses such as inflammatory bowel diseses and anorectal diseases but go step by this point it doesn't seems to be something serious.