Pregnant, have heart palpitations, feeling light headed with headache and is overweight. Suggest?

I am 16 weeks pregnant, I have been heart palpitations - feeling light headed with a headache since for about 4 hours. If I stand up and try to start walking around it gets worse. i know that heart palpitations during pregnancy can be common but these haven't stopped?? Oh, and i am about 80 pounds overweight.
Posted Sun, 7 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Bahaa 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX welcome to healthcare magic.
You have mentioned that you had high blood pressure during your last pregnancy seven years ago. What about your blood pressure readings in the current pregnancy? I expect your blood pressure to be lower than normal because this is what happens normally in the second trimester of pregnancy.
This low blood pressure may suddenly be aggravated ending by fainting attacks (blackouts).
So, palpitations are common, together with dyspnea (or air hunger) and possibly fainting attacks but before we say all this is normal, we should exclude serious organic causes for palpitation and headache.
Please let me know if you suffer any medical disorder or if you are on regular treatment for any reason.
If you have no relevant medical history, but the condition is persistent and recurrent, I would suggest doing a complete blood count (for anemia) and an electrocardiograph and an echocardiography to exclude cardiac disorders.
If all these are normal, I can confidently reassure you that your pregnancy is doing well and what you feel is temporary and normal. You can lie flat (or raise your legs) for a while and everything will be fine.
I have many instructions to tell you regarding your age and weight if you would like, also instructions to monitor your blood pressure.
If you send me the results of the last investigations done this will be very helpful.
I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I would be happy help.
Thank you and good luck.
Dr. Ahmed Bahaa.
Follow-up: Pregnant, have heart palpitations, feeling light headed with headache and is overweight. Suggest? 15 hours later
I went to the ER and I am having PVC's, all the other tests came back normal. They are still on going and are very hard to get used to. Do I just continue on with my regular activities? I am not on any medications as my blood pressure has not been an issue yet during this pregnancy.
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Bahaa 9 hours later
Hi, sorry for the delay.

Now we have an organic cause for your palpitations which is premature ventricular contractions (PVCs). This disturbance in heart beat generation is relatively common and can occur in a healthy person of any age but are more common in elderly and in men.

Single beat PVCs do not pose danger and can be asymptomatic. They may occur spontaneously (no known cause), or there may be an underlying cause such as: Smoking, alcohol, caffeine, drug users, lack of sleep, exhaustion, stress, heart diseases, electrolyte imbalance, thyroid or adrenal hyperactivity.

Consultation of a cardiologist is very important in order to: define or exclude an underlying cardiac disease by examination and echocardiography, search for other underlying causes, give you proper advice and treatment.

Lifestyle modification is essential, drugs belonging to the beta blocker or calcium channel groups are safe during pregnancy.

If other drugs were prescribed please let me know.

I hope these words were useful to you and good luck.
Dr. Ahmed Bahaa.