Pregnant, have headache, nasal congestion, swollen lymph nodes and sore throat. Taking tylenol. Suggest dosage?

Mar 2016

Hi I am 43 years old and am 15 weeks pregnant. I am currently experiencing bad headaches and nasal congestion also swollen lymph nodes and sore throat with slight fever. I am taking occasional tylenol (375 mg) a couple of times a day for the past 3 days. My question is what dosage of tylenol can I take while pregnant and how often can I take it? Also what other medication or treatments can you recommend to relieve my sinus congestion that are safe to do while pregnant. The headaches are fairly severe right now.

Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow the treatment guideline.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) Tylenol contains acetaminophen or paracetamol as ingredient. It is quite safe in pregnancy. However, above said dosage is not adequate to treat your current problem in my opinion.

2) With above condition, I treat my patients by following regimen:

a) Analgesic & antipyretic - Paracetamol is given as 650 mg for 2 to 3 times daily, depending on the severity of headache, fever and common cold problem.

b) Oral antibiotic - I prefer combined Amoxicillin-clavulanate medication to treat sore throat, lymph node swelling and other upper respiratory tract infection. It is given as 625 mg thrice daily for 5 to 7 days.

c) Nasal Decongestant - I prefer xylometazoline nasal drop. 1 to 2 drops 3 times daily is preferably advised for my patients. It is quite safe in pregnancy.

d) Anti-allergic - Chlorpheniramine is safe drug during pregnancy and given as once daily dose as adjunct treatment to above.

Lastly, I suggest to contact with your consulting obstetrician or OBGYN for complete prescription after clinical examination and overall assessment.

Hope, above said information is very much helpful to you. Kindly, close the discussion in case of not having other query.

Wish your good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through