Pregnant, had sandwich with styrofoam. Any effect on baby?

Hi, I am four months pregnant and accidentally ate a sandwich from a to-go container that was made out of styrofoam. The sandwich tasted strange and when i looked at the bottom of the container I realized that the styrofoam it was sitting on had melted! I immediately forced myself to throw up and saw large bits of the sandwich come up, but I'm not sure it all came out. Will my baby be ok?
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No teratogenic effect seen.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX

Styrofoam contains a polymer i.e Styrene, there are animal studies which shows THERE IS NO TERATOGENIC EFFECTS DUE TO STYRENE, and there are no human studies. Considering a single exposure and that too a small amount there wont be any harm to to the growing foetus.

My opinion is you can just relax and continue the pregnancy as the exposure to this agent is acute. You can get an ANOMALY SCAN at 20 weeks and find out the status of the foetus.

Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit.

Good luck!!
Follow-up: Pregnant, had sandwich with styrofoam. Any effect on baby? 11 minutes later
Hi Dr.,

Thank you for your reply. Do you have a reference to the studies you are talking about? I would love to take a look. Also, I happened to have an anatomy scan just day before yesterday and everything seemed fine. In particular, I read somewhere online that styrene can increase your risk for down's syndrome or malformations. If down's syndrome were a possibility, would I already be over that risk period?

Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No relationship with Downs.

Detailed Answer:
Yes I do have a reference, kindly visit the link below, which I got from WHO-website (world health organization),
I failed to find any online literature stating Styrine and high risk for Downs, kindly reply me with the reference so that I can guide you further.
If you do not have any further clarification you can close the discussion. Kindly rate & review my answer. Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile