Pregnant, got sprain near thumb finger and wrist. What to do?

Good Morning,
im 8 months old pregnant, my both wrist near the thumb finger got a sprain. im not able to move my both thumb fingers freely, when i wake up in the morning, i will not be able to move any of my fingers, because of that sprain in the wrist. please suggest

Thanks & Regards,
Posted Mon, 1 Oct 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

I am so sorry about the terrible timing of your injury while pregnant!

This injury, combined with increased symptoms related to swelling in the "carpal tunnel" during pregnancy are going to slow your healing down, and in all likelihood, you will not be symptom free until after the delivery.

One thing that you must try are wrist splints for both wrisits. These are easy to wear and prevent movement at the wrist joint and limits movement of the thumb. This combined with ice and tylenol for pain should help.

I will assume that there is no concern about a break of a bone. If this is the case, it is safe to get XRAYs of your wrists during pregnancy if you need to!

I hope this helps! - DR XXXXXXX