Pregnant, got cold and cough. Safe to take wikoryl?

hi Doctor

My wife is 29years, we are based out of India, she is now in 19th week of pregnancy. She has cold and caugh.
Is wikoryl safe drug during this time?
Posted Sun, 6 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 20 minutes later
Thanks for writing your query to us.
Wikoryl fall in pregnancy category C of US FDA that means animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.But it is better to avoid if possible.

As long as coughs and colds are not severe or accompanied by high fever, leave them to run their course.Try this home remedies first before starting any medicines.

Stay warm and take adequate rest as it will help your body direct its energy towards fighting the flu.
Steam inhalation– Warm, humid air is very effective in cleansing the mucus. In addition, steaming relaxes cough too.
Mentholated chest rubs – Rub a little dollop of these creams as the soothing vapours open the body’s air passageways by inducing the blood vessels to dilate.
Saltwater gargles – Warm, salt-water gargles help by drawing out the mucus and reducing the painful swelling in the throat.
Drink plenty of water – It is important to stay hydrated as some common cold symptoms such as sneezing and runny nose can cause slight dehydration. Avoid drinks with caffeine as they may dehydrate you.
Hot water with honey and lemon can work miracles. Honey soothes your throat and the vitamin C in the lemon boosts the immune system. Ginger juice helps relieve the pain.
Hot Chicken soup with onions and vegetables can be both nutritious and refreshing.
Cough lozenges - The menthol or eucalyptus in cough drops soothes the throat and unclogs the congestion.

Inspite of all this if your wife has a persistent cough or cold that doesn't seem to go away, or if the cold is accompanied by high fever,than kindly consult your doctor. Your wife may have a secondary infection, such as a chest infection, that will need treatment.

I hope I have answered your query. In case you have any further question I will be happy to help you.