Pregnant, got bleeding during sex that seemed to be heavier. Serious?

My wife, who is 15 weeks pregnant, started bleeding during sex. I looked this up and it said spotting during pregnancy is common, but this was heavier. The blood was bright red, and I believe there may have been a clot as well. Is this likely because of the increase blood and sensitivity to her cervix, or could it be something serious?
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Mild spotting in the earlier days of pregnancy (around 6th week) coincide with implantation bleeding and is normal.

Bleeding after 8th week, of any amount should be carefully dealt with. Also bleeding due to any sort of physical trauma could be serious and a sign of impending miscarriage.

I suggest you to take her to the ER where an Ultrasound scan may be done to rule out miscarriage.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Wish you good health.