Pregnant, found with Vitamin D 3 deficiency. Taking medicine. What are the dosage and disadvantage?

Hello Doc,

My wife is 13 weeks pregnant. Doctor found that she has vitamin D3 deficiency. He prescribed D3 vitamin 0000IU/week. Pharmacy gave me D2 vitamin 0000IU/week. Now my wife is taking D3 2000IU (every morning) and D3 5000IU(every night). That brings D3 0000IU/Week. Her D3 levels are 15. Is this Dosage fine. I heard about some disadvantages if the we take excess D3. Please clarify.
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 minutes later
Vitamin D3 supplementation is given in a dose of 60,000 IU with milk or curd once a week for 8 weeks and then once a month.
A level of Vitamin D3 at 15 is low. 30-80 range is "normal." I try for 50 in the patients I'm treating.
The vitamin D gurus tell us they really don't see vitamin D toxicity, and the true high end is probably unknown. I've never seen anyone with a level over 100 yet.
So, you need not worry about the high levels of Vitamin D3. The dosage she is getting is correct. It is best to get her serum D3 levels re assessed after 8 weeks of treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.