Pregnant, eye is frequently blinking. What could be the reason?

Dear Doctor,

My wife is pregnant - now in 2nd month of pregnancy.

since last 12 hours her right eye is frequently blinking. She is worrying by believing some superstitions.

can you please help me in knowing the reasons for blinking in general and any advice you can give to stop or avoid the same.

Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 hours later

Increased blinking is not a serious sign or any hazard to the pregnancy. This happens due to misfiring of the nerve which supplies the muscle in the eye lid.

Application of warmth will reduce the frequency of blinking or stop completely.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: Pregnant, eye is frequently blinking. What could be the reason? 1 hour later
Thanks fpr reply. Application of warnth means usibg a hot towel or pack? please give some tips.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 42 hours later

Thank for writing back.

Sorry for the delay in answering.

Warmth by hot towel will help.