Pregnant, extremely sore left breast, itchy & hot with reddish patch on it, hard area inside breast, discharge from breast. Suggestion to overcome this worry?

OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology

I am 26years of age and 20 weeks pregnant with my first baby. The other day i noticed my left breast was extremely sore , hot and very itchy with a reddish patch on it. And there is a hard area inside the breast.
I have also been experiencing discharge but only from this left breast.

Very worried.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 2 hours later

Physiological changes that occur during pregnancy can produce varied symptoms in women. Though swollen and tender breast are very common other symptoms such as pruritic patches/papules – red and itchy patches are also seen in some women.

I believe what you describe are just normal physiological changes of pregnancy and not related to any tumour or serious medical illness.

I would encourage you to visit your doctor / obstetrician to confirm this condition.

Hope this answers your query. Do accept the answer if you are satisfied with my response and do not have any further follow ups. Yet, let me know if I have missed out any other concern.

Wish you good luck!!

With regards