Pregnant, extremely sick. Advised cleocin. Is it safe?

My doctor gave me cleocin to take . - pill form. As I have been very sick an these are supposed to fight the infection iv been having. Just found out I'm pregnant though. Didn't take them. But now I'm getting sick again and think I should take then so I don't get sick?
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 2 hours later
thanks for the query,

Cleocin contains the active ingredient Clindamycin. Studies conducted in animals with regards to teratogenicity( effects on foetus) have not shown any potential adverse effects. However, such studies in Humans are limited and consequently the use of Clindamycin in pregnancy should be done when benefits out weigh the side effects.

It will be important to be on medication but as if you don't get well, your ill status may affects your child's growth and development thus it will be necessary to re-visit your doctor so he could decide you continue with the drugs or he might give you another drug that will work as compared to the cleocin.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query, i will be glad to help.
Best regards