Pregnant even after taking unwanted 72. Can this harm my baby?
User rating for this question
hi i took unwanted 72 after having an unprotected sex ,but still i got pregnant. can this harm my baby any way?
Posted Mon, 20 Jan 2014 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Belongs to category X drugs Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Usually unwanted 72 will give protection against pregnancy when taken within 72 hours of the unprotected intercourse. But the efficacy of the tablet varies from 50 87%. So, sometimes pregnancy is possible even after taking the pill. Unwanted 72 contains levonorgestrel. It belongs to category X drugs in pregnancy according to FDA. Means it is considered to be contraindicated in pregnancy. But according to few studies there is no increased possibility of neonatal anomalies after taking the pill. Reference : WWW.WWWW.WW So, if the pregnancy is precious to you and you want to continue the pregnancy, better to continue with regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examinations. Anomaly scan at 11 weeks and TIFFA scan at 18 weeks are mandatory to detect any possible anomalies. If no abnormality is detected you can continue the pregnancy with your doctor's advice. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.
People also viewed
- Is there any harm in taking unwanted 72 while mensuration
- Vestibular sense activities
- Menopause birth control pills
- Ortho-mcneil birth control methods
- Miss taking birth control
- Natural safe birth control
- Nortrel birth control pill
- Cedax for uti
- After taking unwanted 72 is there is any chance of being pregnant
- Thyroglobulin antibodies 20
- Is it harmful to take unwanted 72 without intercourse
- No bleeding after taking unwanted 72
- Is it possible to get pregnant after using unwanted 72
- Cefpodoxime tab 200mg
- Ciclopirox gel 0.77