Pregnant, don't want to continue with it. Prescribed regestrone. Is this correct medicine?

Question
Hi Doctor My last period was on 25 th April 2013.. I missed my period last month that was on 25th May (30 Days Cycle) and went for pregnancy test .. it was positive. but i don't want to continue with the pregnancy currently so I consulted a gyn who suggested me to take regestrone 5 mg (9 tablets) for 3 days (3 times in a day). I took only 1 tablet..But read the information on internet i found some queries and now confused whether this is the right tablet or not... Can you please help/guide me...
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 37 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Regestrone (norethindrone acetate) is usually used to induce or post-pone a period (eg. in women with irregular menstrual cycles), and typically not for abortion (if that is what you require).

As pregnancy has been confirmed it is not advised to take this medication. I would advise you revisit your doctor and explain that you wish to have an abortion, as there are different medications available for this purpose.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, or you could rate my answers after closing this discussion and contact me in the future at: WWW.WWWW.WW
Best wishes.

Follow-up: Pregnant, don't want to continue with it. Prescribed regestrone. Is this correct medicine? 20 minutes later
So what are the other medical sources for the abortion which are the tablets advisable for the Medical Termination of pregnancy.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 6 minutes later
Hi.

For medical termination of pregnancy medication containing misoprostol are usually used. But they are only available with a doctor's prescription, and should be taken with specific instructions under the supervision of a doctor, as they can result in serious outcomes if misused.

Best wishes.