Pregnant, done with Hbf test. Am I having thalessiamia?

hi,myself XXXXXX iam 26 weeks pregnant,my Hbf level is 9.30 as compared to <1.50 which is the ref range. however HbA2 level is 2.20 which is under the normal range of i a thalessemia carrier..docter advised for HPLC Hb of my husband the results of which are awaited. plz clarify
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 1 hour later

In normal adult, hemoglobin HbF hemoglobin very less in compare to fetal hemoglobin. Adult hemoglobin made up with HbA hemoglobin mainly and very less HbA2 and HbF.

Based on the details you provided, you may be suffering from a disease called beta thalassemia trait. Here the Hbf level is increased and Hba2 level may increase or normal. Now your doctor has suggested an HPLC test of your husband to rule out whether your husband is suffering from beta thalassemia trait or not. Because if he is suffering from Thalassemia trait the chances of your baby to be thalassemia major is 1 in 4 and chances of thalassemia trait is 3 in 4.

In brief it is important to know the thalassemia status of both parents to identify the chances of the same condition prenatally in the fetus.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further questions I will be happy to help you.

Dr. Richa