Pregnant, done UTI, RBC, WBC, leukocyte esterase (large) and bacteria present, on amoxicilin, mirobid

Hi, I am 30 yrs and am pregnant about 6 months. I have done UTI and it indicated that RBC, WBC, Leucocyte Esterase (large) and Bacterica present about 1 month ago. My doctor prescribed some antibiotics (amoxicilin for the first time and Mirobid for the second time) and I have taken them and done another test after taking pills but the results still show RBC 3-5, WBC >50. I have no back pain, no vomiting, no pain and burn. Could you please advise?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

White blood cells in the urine indicate that the body is fighting a infection.

Small amount of RBC can be seen due to infection and also due to other reasons when the body is preparing for child birth. If the second report doesn't show bacteria but does show WBC then that means that some remnants of the infection are present. The two reports need to be co-related. Asymptomatic bacteruria is very common in pregnancy.

You may need to do a culture of the urine and antibiotic sensitivity test to see if higher antibiotics will be needed.

Accordingly 3-10 days of treatment will be required.

If you have recurrent infection during your pregnancy then antibiotics need to be continued. I suggest that you get a urine culture done. Talk with your doctor about co relation between the reports.

Drink lots of water.

Follow-up: Pregnant, done UTI, RBC, WBC, leukocyte esterase (large) and bacteria present, on amoxicilin, mirobid 33 minutes later
Hi Thanks so much for your answer. I have done 1 month ago a urinanalysis including (chemical, Microscopic, and Culture and sensitivity). The Lecoucyt level was Moderate and RBC and WBC and Bacteria shown. My doctor asked me to take amoxiciln 10 pils in total. Then, I took them and I have done another test after. The result show Lecusyte high and again RBC and WBC and Bacteria. My doctor asked me to take Microbid 10 pils again two a day. I took and after finishing I have done another test the results was the same.
about the culture and sesitivity test the result shows that everythiog is Normal (Not Abn).

Also, it shows AMorphous debries present and Mucus present too.
My doctor told me if you do not have burn it is normal and do not worry. But I am worried about that. I am always driniking a lot of water.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 41 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

This is called asymptomatic bacteruria. You have taken 2 courses of antibiotics. But the infection still prevails. If there is bacteria in the report then the culture and sensitivity cannot be normal. The type of bacteria has to be identified in the test. The sensitivity of the bacteria to particular drugs will be mentioned in the report too so that proper antibiotic can be given. I suggest that you repeat the culture and sensitivity.Most common infection is caused by E.coli, klebsiella, proteus etc.

I think that you should express you concerns to your Obstetrician so that another test can be done. Use a different lab.