Pregnant, detected with high TSH and started medicine. How safe is it to continue with pregnancy?

Hi, I am 13.5 weeks pregnant. I was detected with high TSH level (10.14) recently and have just started medication. My T4 level is low by 0.05 from the normal range .I have never had any symptoms before and even now.
How safe is it to continue with my pregnancy ? Just because it wasn't treated during my first trimester , will my baby be at any risk ?
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Risk is there but pregnancy should be continued.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for asking on XXXXXXX

As per your reports you are suffering from hypothyroidism. Ideally, hypothyroidism should be controlled before conception to avoid pregnancy complications and you are already post 13.5 weeks.

In the first 12 weeks of pregnancy, baby is dependent on mother for thyroid hormone requirement and its own hormone production starts after this period. So, your baby has already suffered from this problem.

Many complications can occur due to hypothyroidism including spontaneous abortion, high BP,bleeding per vaginum,preterm birth, low birth weight babies. low IQ baby and perinatal death.But all these complications can be controlled and termination of pregnancy is not recommended for hypothyroidism.

I would like to advise you to take prescribed hormonal supplement to bring down the TSH levels below 2.5 mIU/L. Also, you should get a level II scan done at 18 weeks to rule out any congenital anomaly which is incompatible with life.

Get your thyroid profile done every 2 weeks till desired levels reached and after that every 4 weeks.

Dose of thyroid hormone supplement will have to be decreased after delivery so, consult your doctor for that.

Good luck.

Hope this information is helpful and informative to you.
I will be pleased to answer your follow up question.
For any further query, you can directly ask me on the following URL:
Follow-up: Pregnant, detected with high TSH and started medicine. How safe is it to continue with pregnancy? 56 minutes later
By level II scan , do you mean the anomaly scan ? if not can you tell me the specific name so that i can ask my gynaec for the particular scan.Right now my doctor has suggested to go for the anomaly scan between 20-22 weeks .
I had my NT scan and double marker test and it was normal.

Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
level II scan at 18 weeks

Detailed Answer:

Level II scan means anamoly scan. It can be done at 18 weeks so that in case you find any abnormality in scan then necessary intervention can be done before 20 weeks.