Pregnant coughing up blood in the phlegm in mornings. Is it dangerous?

Question
26 WEEKS PREGNANT AND COUGHING UP DARK XXXXXXX PHELGM IN THE MORNING TIME, AND SOMETIMES THERE IS BLOOD IN IT
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 17 minutes later
Hi there. Thank you for posting your question.

The coughing up of dark XXXXXXX phlegm is not of itself too alarming. It is probably only a viral chest infection. That there is occasionally some blood in what you cough up is however an additional worry.

Because there are now two of you and your baby's welfare has also to be consider, this is probably not a good time for taking chances. I think you need to have your lungs checked out by a doctor if only for your own peace of mind.

I hope the remainder of your pregnancy goes really well and that you accept this answer.