Pregnant, ate something that had listeria. What would be the impact?

If I ate something the had listeria and then reheated it until steaming, would this kill listeria even of it already was contaminated?

If i ate something today that im worried about and, I'm 38 weeks pregnant and have a cesarean on monday, would my fetus be affected by listeria or will we give birth to her in time before listeria could affect her? Basically, 4 days after eating something with listeria. Thanks in advance!
Posted Tue, 2 Jul 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Hi and thank you so much for this query.
I a Dr. Ditah and feel honored having this opportunity to address your health needs.

I am happy to see you concerned about listeria infection and taking active measures to prevent any possible problems resulting from this.

Heating food until steaming is sufficient to kill listeria if it were present. So if you got the food well heated, then the risk is of having been contaminated is almost zero. This should not be any problem to you or your baby.

With a cesarean planned for monday(17 XXXXXXX 2013), i will say there is very little to worry about. Your baby should be very safe. I will however suggest that you share this information with your OBGYN so that they can observe the baby closely after delivery just to make sure all is okay as expected.

Hope this answers your question and relieves you of the fear you had.
Feel free to come back and request for more information.
I wish you a very safe cesarean section.
Welcome to the little one.
Dr. Ditah
Follow-up: Pregnant, ate something that had listeria. What would be the impact? 14 hours later
Thank you! ! VERY much appreciated! ! :)
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 52 minutes later
Hi and thanks for your encouragements.
I am glad I was able to be of help to you.
You may end the discussion now and rate the answer.
Wish all the best!
Dr. Ditah, MD.