Pregnant at 8 weeks. Ultrasound done, showed yolk sac, no fetal pole or heartbeat, dropping hcg levels. Do I need D&C?

Question
Supposed to be 8 weeks pregnant. Had my first ultrasound and Dr said I had a yolk sac but no fetal pole or heartbeat . Hcg levels are not dropping but not significantly going up. Still feel pregnant. Is there any hope?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 4 hours later

You should have your repeat scan 2 weeks after the first scan. In early pregnancy, the first thing visible on ultrasound is pregnancy sac followed by yolk sac and then the fetal pole and cardiac activity appear. If after 2 weeks, the ultrasound findings are improving, then you should not worry.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Pregnant at 8 weeks. Ultrasound done, showed yolk sac, no fetal pole or heartbeat, dropping hcg levels. Do I need D&C? 8 hours later
is it normal to not see anything in the yolk sac at 8weeks 4 days? My doctor wants me in for a D&C tomorrow.

Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 8 hours later

It is difficult to visualize anything in yolk sac as it is a very small structure. In my opinion you should review your ultrasound report with films with other Radiologist / Gynecologist.

All the best.