Pregnant, anti tuberculosis treatment, on going treatment with non toxic drugs, medical defects in child. Abort or continue pregnancy ?

im 5 weeks pregnant in the 11th month of anti tuberculosis treatment.should i continue with my pregnancy or drop it?i hope my baby will not have any side effects.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.

As per American Thoracic Society (ATS) guidelines, on the TB treatment in pregnancy - it is not recommended to abort the foetus at all.
The only drugs absolutely contraindicated due to foetal toxicity are :
Streptomycin (cranial nerve VIII damage), Kanamycin, capreomysin (similar), Para-aminosalicylic acid, cycloserine, ethionamide (use is limited, maternal side effects)

Rest of the first line drugs especially INH, Rifampicin are indicated as per the previous treatment.

My advice to you now is :
1. Get in touch with the doctor who prescribed you the anti TB drugs, for a review and proceed accordingly.
2. Remember pregnancy is itself not a contraindication for treatment. Rather, it proves more XXXXXXX if treatment is withdrawn abruptly.
3. Your baby will be absolutely fine provided you adhere to your doctor guidelines.
4. Do all this promptly and contact your doctor...NOW !

I hope I have answered your concern on a broad sense, now.

If you have additional questions regarding these recommendations as you prepare to make decision regarding future care, you should not hesitate to contact my attention email YYYY@YYYY