Pregnant and work in lab with paraformaldehyde, vincristine and crystal violet. Concerned about any effects?

Yes please, my question is: I am 6 weeks pregnant and work in the laboratory. I am asked to work with things like 4% paraformaldehyde, vincristine and crystal violet. I am concerned about any effects on the embryo but also do not want to tell my boss about the early pregnancy..

Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 50 minutes later
as per the current recommendations you don't need to be relocated at work because of your lab. yes some fumes are toxic to embryos and most are toxic to human beings. they can cause asthma allergic illnesses cancers and birth defects. however the chances are very low and there are no guidelines to tell exactly which chemical is more XXXXXXX
to prevent the effect of chemical fumes the precautions are -use of wet mask on face well tied, wear glasses, gloves, don't touch your body with unwashed hands leave the windows open for better circulation of air and go out for fresh air regularly. wash your hands well and take shower after returning from work. the most important time of embryo development is 6-9 wks