Pregnant and uses warm water for bath but was hot. Will that affect fetus?

Dear Doctor,

My wife is in 3rd month of pregnancy , normally she uses mild warm water for bath but today it seems she used relatively hot water. Now she is afraid of any problems or complications to her or baby. Can you pls help in calrifying our concerns?

Posted Fri, 2 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 18 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Usually little bit of hot or cold water does not cause any problems. If you can describe her symptoms in detail, I will be better able to help you. If you can also tell what are the concerns you are having regarding use of hot water.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow-up: Pregnant and uses warm water for bath but was hot. Will that affect fetus? 5 minutes later
Dear Doctor,

There are no symptoms she is experiencing, but she is worried of any complications due to using relatively hot water today for bath. She is worried if direct flow of hot water on stomach will cause any issues?

regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 33 minutes later
Hi again,

Since your wife did not have any stomach cramps, bleeding or local burns itself, I think it can be safely ignored. Coming in contact with hot water should first produce some burns, etc. on the mother's skin before affecting the baby. If she still has some doubts about the baby being affected, she can always bring it up with her gynecologist. Her gynecologist may run some tests like ultrasound of abdomen to confirm.

Dr Vaishalee