Pregnant and suffering from cough and fever. Took paracetamol but no help. Advise?

Excellent
Question
My wife is 27 week pregnant and since yesterday she is suffering from cough and fever (103 degree centigrade). As she is pregnant she took 2 Paracetamol since morning after food and it lower down the fever. But after 4 hours again temperature got increased to 103 degree centigrade. Could you please advise?

Note: Our local doctor advised us to consult General Physician having MBBS & MD degree. Requesting you to please forward this query to general physician having MBBS & MD degree.
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 1 hour later
Hi XXXXX,Thanks for your query.

As per your history, your wife is suffering from some upper respiratory tract infection. In my opinion, you should give her paracetamol as and when required but not more than 4 tablets in a day.

You can also give her antihistaminics for symptomatic relief of cough.

High grade fever may be harmful for the baby. If fever becomes high, then do cold sponging in axilla, neck, feet, groin and forehead.Also give her steam inhalation.

Along with this, I usually prescribe some antibiotic. Among antibiotics, penicillins (like amoxicillin and cephalosporins) are safe in pregnancy. Consult your gynecologist regarding the prescription.

Advise her to take rest and diet as already advised. Continue iron and calcium supplementation.

Hope this helps.
For any further queries you can reach out to me on the following URL:
WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Pregnant and suffering from cough and fever. Took paracetamol but no help. Advise? 31 minutes later
Thank you doctor for quick response.

We consulted another local doctor here, and she suggested Doxinate (once in night) in addition to Paracetamol tablets (thrice in a day). Is Doxinate is required as she doesn't have vomiting sensation. Please advise.

Hello XXXXX, Thanks for follow up.

As I mentioned, antihistaminics will help in relieving cold. Doxinate is an antihistaminic. Although its common use is for pregnancy induced vomiting, many people use it for cold and cough relief. As it is safe in pregnancy, you can take it for cold relief.

Hope this helps.
WWW.WWWW.WW