Pregnant and prescribed with gestin. Will this medicine improve the growth of baby?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi dr. I am in my 37th week and my gynac has asked me to take gestin tablet for 2 wks. She said that since my baby weighs 2229 gms +_ 375 gms, this medicine will help in the growth of the baby.kindly advice if this is ok or not?
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Prevents premature onset of labor pains Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Gestin contains allylestrenol, which is a synthetic progesterone. As such progesterone may not directly help in growth of the baby. But by preventing premature onset of labor pains, it helps in prolonging the pregnancy. So that baby can achieve adequate weight at the time of delivery. Gestin belongs to category C drugs in pregnancy according to FDA. Means animal studies have shown some adverse effects on fetus but sufficient human studies are lacking. So you may use the drug if your doctor says that benefits overweigh risks. Better to use natural micronized progesterones supplements as per as possible with your doctor's advice. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.

Follow-up: Pregnant and prescribed with gestin. Will this medicine improve the growth of baby? 18 minutes later
Dr. Thank you for the answer, but I hope the medicine will not affect the baby in anyways.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: May not affect the baby Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes, there may not be any major problem. As you reached the term gestation, drug may not affect the development of the baby as by this time all organs will be formed. Take care.

Follow-up: Pregnant and prescribed with gestin. Will this medicine improve the growth of baby? 1 hour later
Dr. My gynac told me that my baby is still floating and that his/ her head has not come down. The placenta is also drying up. Wht does tht mean. Hope all is ok with the baby. When are the chances of getting labour pains if I have gestin tablet?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Gestin may prevent premature onset of labor pains Detailed Answer: Hi, Usually at around 37 weeks the presenting part will occupy the lower portion of the uterus. Causes of floating of the baby at this gestational age are: -Excessive amniotic fluid -Placenta occupying the lower portion of the uterus -Short umbilical cord preventing fixation of the head -Small sized baby etc. -In case of first pregnancy, the presenting part will fix around one to two weeks prior to delivery. From second pregnancy usually presenting part will fix around the time of delivery. Placental grading will increase with progression of the gestational age and it's capacity will decrease gradually. As you almost completed 37 weeks of gestation, there may not be any major problem now. Possibly your baby can reach around 2.6 to 2.9 kg by the time of delivery, if pregnancy continues up to 40 weeks. Usually gestin can prevent premature onset of labor pains till the time it is used. But it may not prevent fully established labor pains. No need to worry, by this time your baby might have gained the capacity to survive in the extra uterine environment. Take care.