Pregnant and on glycomet. Will it affect weight, hair loss or the baby? Will it be needed post pregnancy?

Question
Hello Doctor,

I am hiten mehta from mumtbai india. My wife is 5 weeks pregnant. On testing her TSH levels, the reports show 3.62. Her gynaec has asked her to take thyronorm 25 mcg daily before breakfast.She s on medication of GLYCOMET 500 two times a day for a long time now. I am worried as to:

1. will it affect my wife in anyways like weight gain , loss, hair loss etc.
2. will the medicine be needed to b taken lifetime post pregnancy as well.
3. will it affect the pregnancy or baby in any way.
Should i get the test done again ?

I am really worried about it.

i will be obliged to get your reply.

Thanks
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 19 hours later
Dear Hilten,
Thanks for writing in.
Normal TSH is between 0.5 to 4.5. But the international recommendation during pregnancy is that TSh has to be less than 2.5. So your gynaecologist has appropriately started thyronorm. This thyronorm wont have any adverse effect on mother or baby including the ones you have mentioned. Instead it may help in improving the neural development and IQ of the baby. Thyronorm neednot be taken post delivery, but periodic thyroid function testing will have to be done.
I think your wife is on glycomet for Polycystic ovarian disease.Glycomet is quite safe during pregnancy and if it is given for PCOD, then it improves the maternal and fetal outcomes by reducing the the chances of abortion and gestational diabetes. So again it wont have negative effect either on mother or fetus. Even glycomet can be stopped post delivery if she is not a known diabetic.
So dont worry. These are two medications which are commonly prescribed by Endocrinologists to many pregnant women with the intention of improving pregnancy outcomes.
Hope I have cleared your doubts.

Dr.Shivaprasad